Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Night At The Fair

I love going to the fair and students and school employees get free passes to go to the fair every year. I didn't care how tired I was, I wanted to go to the fair. I took some pictures, but I'm not good with my camera and all of it's options yet so some aren't so good.

The first thing we did was visit the World Vision walk through, hands on display. My daughter is holding a water can on her head to see waht it might be like to carry water every day for a distance. The can was only about 1/8 full and she didn't walk with it at all. I think she got the point.

Grinding corn into meal. She thought it was fun. My son said no thanks.

My son did try the drums though. My daughter loves music and singing.

There was a large table at the end where kids could grind corn into meal again. My son said no thanks again. But when the man asked if he wanted to...

he jumped right in and seemed to enjoy it too.

There was a lot to see and read. Here are some handmade dolls from Africa.

This is a First Aid kit that we can purchase to be delivered to any country displayed with some carved items.

Back out to the fair. Headed to the barns we see cows getting bathed probably to be shown in the arena.

Here's one in the arena. It's fun to watch the handlers trying to get these huge animals to move just the way they must go. They are beautiful animals.


Ooops! What's a country fair without some cow pies? Sorry, I'm not a country girl so I don't see cowpies everyday and I think they're funny.

These little piggies were born the first week of the fair. They were so cute. My daughter got to pet one, but I missed the photo op.

Here's one being held for petting.

Here's some with mom.


On to the Hobby Hall for collections and handmade crafts. Legos are a hit with kids so there are a lot of Lego displays. This was a really long one with a lot of detail.

This is the other end of the display. Freighthouse Square is an actual place about a half an hour from here.

A Betty Boop ollection.

A frog collection. I have a few frogs around my house mostly because my "Friend Frog" sends them to me. I send some to her too. My "Friend Frog" is one of my besties from the Navy. We were roomates and we were in each other's wedding's. Our kids are the same age, you know, a "Friend Frog"? There is more to the story, but I won't bore you right now.

I love fair scones so we stood in line to get a dozen. I freeze most of them for breakfasts. They weren't made very well this year. Hard to find good help I guess. My mom & her friend made scones at the fair for six years in a row. Not anymore though.

Here they are those lovely, flakey, jam filled goodies.

My son having a refreshing drink.

My daughter eating her sour Gummie worms in the huge food court building.


The lighted fountain as we were leaving. We only went on the shy ride. We hadn't saved money for the rides which was fine. My kids would rather ride with their friends anyway. I'm not much of a rider anymore. Most people go to the fair for the rides, at least I used to, but now it's all the other stuff.

Me and H.

Me and J.

10 comments:

  1. Cool, Looks like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun time. How nice to have a day with both the kids. Stunt Man got to see baby pigs at the petting farm a while ago. He loved them. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an terribly small cow patty! I was born on a dairy farm...."many" years ago. I still love cows!
    Glad you guys had a great time. Hope you are doing well. I have been thinking about you.

    Blessings and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't make it this year but looks like you had fun. The piggies are so cute!!! I did get a scone though, because #1 brought it to me from the fair. It tasted pretty good. See ya tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun outing with the kids! We have a state fair here, but it is not something we attend! Those lego models are awesome! And great hands on experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun! I think you got some great pics. I especially love the baby pigs. They are so cute. Not that your kids aren't cute. But you know what I mean ;)

    Take care my friend!
    Hope you have a great week at school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mornin', Nannette~

    WOW! Looks like you had a great time at the fair! Great pictures. I loved the pics of the baby piggies....SO CUTE!

    How cool that your kids were able to do some "hands on" stuff there. I like the corn grinding.

    Thank you for sharing the Fair with us!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun times! oh, and did you take a picture of POO!!!??!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pictures!
    I also love the Fair but didn't get the oppertunity this year. But your pictures brought it all back for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to see you out having a great time with your kids! I know you've been working hard lately. I love your fair! It was totally cool stuff about other countries! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete