Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Feeling Sad For Kids

This week I've been working out on the soccer field at the school instead of near the Big Toy.

The kids are older and more competitive, but they are also more brutal. I am sad today because no matter how I try to encourage good sportsmanship and discourage cheating and just plain unfair practices it seems I am just met with bad attitudes.

The kids who want to be on the same team come out with the ball (the same boy everyday so far) and the same boy selects all the "good" players and starts the game. The other kids feel unfairly treated and for good reason.

The first time he did this I made them start over and pick teams one player at a time. They were furious & some kids wouldn't play. I couldn't believe what poor sports they were about it. I was disappointed.

I've just been observing them the last two days to get a feel for the group. I did cheer though when the underdogs stopped every goal attempt by the "good" players.

Please pray for me that I will share wise and useful advice and make statements that will be helpful and create an environment of good sportsman like behavior. I don't want to make everyone miserable, yet I do not want to tolerate "cheating" and poor sportsmanship.

Kids need advocates and other kids need a reminder of what is right and wrong.
God bless them all. I pray for them everyday. Some days it's just sad though.

I do know that God is in control and even this is important to Him.

6 comments:

  1. I still remember some of my playground days. Teachers supervising the playground were few and far between. These kids are going to grow up and it's going to be a lot tougher for them if they don't learn to play by the rules now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending lots of prayers....GOD BLESS YOU as you share HIS love with these kids. You may not know the difference you are making, but I am sure you are making one.
    Hugs,
    andrea

    PS: Sitka has an award for you at All Gods Creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Nannette~

    Working with this age group can be so difficult. I remember from my days in public school. Keep doing what you're doing, some will eventually get it.

    Don't loose heart, my friend. I will be praying for you!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid the fallen nature shows through early(as it did with me). We can be thankful for the grace of God, the only answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Alpha Dog stage where boys try to take advantage of other boys is definitely not fun. And it is so sad when players "quit" because they cannot play their way - team sportsmanship is necessary in just everyday living and everyday working. Sometimes that's the biggest difference between a great athlete(and employee) and a good one! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your prayers and encouragement. I eventually sent four of the players off the field for the rest of the week. The games went much more smoothly after that. The kids who were sent off the field played other games and one girl seemed to have found it fun to play with some of the other girls instead of mostly boys on the socer field.

    God has His hand in everything.

    ReplyDelete