Thursday, September 17, 2009

The New Life of This Working Mom

Oh to be back on this day again. Drinking a mocha, standing in a cool water spray at the park near the street fair.

Some of you may know that I'm a substitute para educator. The first job I picked up is a long term situation with no defined ending date. So I'll just keep working this job until I pick up a permanent position. The school and all of the people I have come in contact with are very nice and complimentary. I know I'm appreciated and needed because the hours really stink.

I'm not complaining because I'm so glad to be working, but I have the strangest shift. I only work two hours and forty minutes a day, but it's strung out over seven hours. I have four breaks that all range from one hour to an hour and 40 minutes.

I pretty much stay at the school because if I go home it uses so much gas. I may run an errand or two, but I stay in the teacher's lounge and read or go for a walk for the most part.

Yesterday I started volunteering in the all day kindergarten class. This helps make the time go faster. I'm learning so much about how they teach. I can use this in Sunday School. Modifying behavior is going to be a good tool and some of the songs are going to be helpful too.

I have applied for the same type of job, permanent position, at a school closer to my home which pays $1.00 more per hour and it is a four hour a day position. I'm hoping that the Lord is opening this door to me. If not, He's got something even better.

Since I come home very tired every day (I haven't worked out of the home in 14 years)
I've been neglecting my blog and my following. Thank you to those of you who still stop by even when I don't visit you. God bless you all. I hope to get used to working and I hope to not be so tired every night. Have a very nice weekend.

9 comments:

  1. I hope you find some work that leaves you energized at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get that new job. We were just talking about the crossing guard job yesterday. You've been missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound like a long and tiring day. I pray you are able to get the job that's a little bit closer to home.

    Take care my friend!
    Don't work too hard ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what awfully strange 'hours' you work. How awful to be there for that many hours and only get paid for so few.

    BUT I have to praise you for your great attitude about it. YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are enjoying the new job. Believing God has the very best all lined up and waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always hard to start a job, especially when it involves children. They take a lot energy. Plus, you are learning and that takes a lot of energy!

    I really like the fact that you are volunteering in the Kindergarden class. Everybody wins that way!

    You will get the job you want and need. I always tell my "students", you have to crawl before you walk, walk before you run.

    I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one tough cookie! I'll be praying for you! I hope your schedule becomes more worker-friendly. Don't let them take advantage of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Nannette~

    I worked in the public school system in Special Education for 11 years and just LOVED IT! I so miss my kids!

    I can so relate to you being so tired at the end of the day. There is something WONDERFULLY draining when you work with kids. :> ) If I have to go back to work.....the school is where I will be headed!

    Blessings~
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nannette,

    I know how it is…to busy to blog, or get around to reading blogs. We know where to find you. ☺

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete