Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fun To Watch Them Grow Up



Lately our neighbor has been visiting a lot. He's a thirty year old who lives with his parents due to some bad choices on his part which he fully owns up to.

Today he said, "It's kinda neat. I've been watching your kids grow up." And I said, "Yes and I've watched you and your brother grow up."

Then he recalled when my son was about four and my daughter was about two.
He was sitting in his car working on something when we came home that day. My son had asked me if he was a Christian and I said, "I don't know."


I felt my son needed to know or he wouldn't have asked. So we walked over to him and I told him what J wanted to know and that J was concerned if he was going to heaven. Our neighbor put his head down and said, "Yes."
I din't know what to think. He seemed ashamed instead of happy. We continued with a little conversation and parted ways.

It's been about ten years and this young man has made some bad choices, but about eighteen months ago he came over and asked when our church had it's service. He showed up that Sunday and has been pretty regular since then. He was baptized last summer.

Three weeks ago here comes his older sister and her three year old. And they've been coming since then. Today he mentioned that a friend wanted to start taking his kids to church so he invited them to his church.

You just never know what a simple question from a child would begin or be a part of. Never hesitate to ask that question. It may be the beginning of something that grows into changing a family.


I'll leave you with this from Hebrews 13:5b, "Because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; Never will I forsake you.' "


7 comments:

  1. What an awesome question....sounds like he thought hard about that question. What a wonderful witness he was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! What a wonderful testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God! I wasn't sure when I would share this with my blog family, but now that I'm sitting here in tears...I guess now is the time. Nan, my brother is in a Christian based rehab & has been since December. He has spent the last 10 years in jail or prison. I have been financially responsible for him for 7 months & he's insulin dependent with no insurance. It has been a VERY trying time for me. Thank you SO much for sharing this & I'm sorry for leaving such a long comment. Sometimes you blog or send an email to someone & you never truly know how much they might have needed it that day. You my friend, just gave me a little hope after a trying day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my!!! Isn't it awesome how God works? Out of the mouths of babes! Praise God for you having the guts to walk over and ask that question. Nice to see some 'fruit' come from a tiny seed planted so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat story! Children are much wiser and more in tune with God than we give them credit for. Thank you for that reminder my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength...

    That is a good thing to remember.

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete